Signs of Toxic Black Mold

Mold Removal

There are many different kinds of mold, and each comes with their own signs and symptoms. While all types of mold can affect your health, the biggest risk comes with toxigenic mold. Of these toxigenic molds, the most common is stachybotrys chartarum, or toxic black mold. Black mold grows in environments with a high cellulose content—such as carpets and drywall—and excess moisture. Fortunately, you can tell that black mold is growing in your building in a few ways. We identify some of the signs your home has toxic black mold.

Visual Signs

While mold doesn’t always have visible signs, you can look for a couple of visual indicators that it’s growing within your home. Toxic black mold thrives in moisture, so recent water damage can mean mold is growing or will become an issue. Discolored walls or stains might also mean toxic mold grew in your house. While these signs could all come from other causes, stains or discoloration alongside water damage means there’s a pretty good chance of mold. Either way, it’s always worth checking it out and playing it safe.

Odor

Black mold has a strong musty odor. This smell provides a pretty reliable signal. Even if you can’t find visual evidence of mold in your home, the smell is often indicative of mold that grew large enough to present a health risk.

Physical Health Symptoms

Toxic black mold can have a big impact on your health, even if you can’t find other noticeable signs of it in your home. Black mold can cause respiratory issues, such as a chronic runny nose or an itchy or sore throat. Other health concerns include fever, skin rashes, achiness, and others.

Mental Health Symptoms

The health risks of toxic black mold aren’t all physical—it can also have a negative effect on the brain and certain mental processes. Fatigue and forgetfulness can stem from living with toxic black mold. Victims of black mold might also feel anxious or have trouble concentrating.

If left unchecked, mold can become a big issue that affects many different parts of your life. The health of you and your family is important, and Mold Zero can help. If you suspect you have toxic black mold in your home, hire air quality testing services today, so you can address the problem and get back to a healthy life.

Click below to schedule your FREE IN-HOME EVALUATION!

 

Mold Removal

 

18 replies
  1. Sabrina Addams
    Sabrina Addams says:

    My younger sister and her best friend live in an older home and are wondering if they have mold in their home. I am thankful that you explained how black mold can cause respiratory issues, runny nose, and produces a musty odor. I’ll call her and help her find a mold testing service to make sure they are safe and healthy.

    Reply
    • Marketing
      Marketing says:

      Glad this article was helpful Sabrina. Let us know if we can help. There is a great company in New Jersey we could recommend

      Reply
  2. Sean Gallagher
    Sean Gallagher says:

    Hi All, I need some advise as I live in this house that is about 20years old. I have been sick for the past 8 old . I have a funny smell in the house.whats the best test to check for black mold. Sean

    Reply
    • Marketing
      Marketing says:

      Please give us a call, 727-900-7202. If you are in the Greater Tampa Bay area then we can offer you a free in-home evaluation. We can also refer you to companies we trust if you aren’t in our service area

      Reply
  3. Zachary Tomlinson
    Zachary Tomlinson says:

    I find it very concerning that mold exposure can cause respiratory issues, like runny nose and sore throat. My uncle told me that he’s been having difficulty breathing recently and after reading this article, I believe that the cause is molds. I should share this with him so he could call a mold removal specialist to sort this out for him.

    Reply
    • Marketing
      Marketing says:

      Absolutely Zachary. Respiratory issues are a sure sign of mold exposure. Please do share this with your uncle and let us know if there’s any other way we can help.

      Reply
      • Terri
        Terri says:

        We r living in a condo, ground level that is about 4 years old. We have suspected
        The same since our toilets get a moldy ring I. Less than a week after cleaning. I came home one day and it smelled musty. My husband has been going down hill with his lung disease since we moved in a year ago. Twice in the hospital For lung issues. Can this be? It’s not an old bldg. but I have suspected it after the first few months.

        Reply
        • Marketing
          Marketing says:

          Hi Terri,

          I suggest that you get a mold inspection and/or mold testing done in your home so you know whether or not you have a issue that needs to be addressed professionally. If you are in the Greater Tampa Bay area, feel free to give us a call.

          Reply
    • Marketing
      Marketing says:

      Hi Takessa, cost for treatment will depend on the square footage of the property as well as what individual issue there is.
      We do free estimates to determine a cost for treatment.
      Give you s a call at 727-900-7202 and we can arrange for someone to come out for a free in home evaluation

      Reply
  4. Kate Hansen
    Kate Hansen says:

    It was really helpful when you said that a must odor is the most obvious sign of black mold. for the past couple of weeks, I have been smelling a musty smell in my basement, and I can’t seem to find what the cause of it could be. I’ll have to look into hiring a mold remediation service to come and see if there is black mold in my home.

    Reply
  5. Phyllis
    Phyllis says:

    Black mold in my home before landlord sprayed with bleach and remove the old drywall and put a dehumidifier in the basement that is always filled with water is empty yeah there’s a strong odor and I have a skin rash on my leg what should I do

    Reply
  6. Zoe Campos
    Zoe Campos says:

    Thank you for warning me that prolonged exposure to mold can also affect a person’s mental health processes. We’ve spotted a few black spots around our kitchen area and since we have kids who play and explore the house every day, I’m not sure if these spots that can be mold are safe to keep. It might be better to look for experts here in Indianapolis, IN who specialize in home mold removal services and get rid of them as soon as possible.

    Reply
    • Marketing
      Marketing says:

      Hi Neicey,

      We can absolutely help you with that situation.
      Give us a call @ 727-900-7202 and ask to speak with Julia, she can set you up with a free in-home evaluation.

      Reply
  7. Thomas Clarence
    Thomas Clarence says:

    Wow, I had no idea that fatigue can come from exposure to black mold. If you are experiencing a lot of symptoms that are related to black molds, it would probably be a good idea to contact a remediation company as soon as possible. A remediation company would be able to sanitize your home and prevent your family from getting even sicker.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *